I thought the extra cold Autumn we emerged from was just an early start to Winter…that’s how cold it was; but by the looks of it, Winter is going to be ruthless!!
There’s something about the onset of the winter chill that always has me thinking of soup and my brother! It was always his request on the first rainy day of the season (kind of like my husband and a hot, chocolate, self-saucing pudding) and though I do love my brother, the same can’t be said about soup!
- I quickly sauté the veggies for a bit in a knob of butter.
- Next, I top up the pot with boiling water (enough water that all the veggies are submerged in it) and cook veggies until soft. I don’t really use stock in my kitchen, so I left that out.
- Once veggies are soft, I blend it until smooth.
- Lastly, I add a generous amount of Coconut milk (about 1/3 or 1/2 cup to one pack of soup…I don’t really measure) and the soup is done. You could, alternatively, use fresh cream; however, I feel the coconut milk compliments the flavours better.
- An optional extra would be to add chicken pieces to the soup. For this, I cube chicken into small pieces and sauté in either olive oil, coconut oil or butter with some garlic and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper (and for the more adventurous, I seasoned with a tiny bit of tikka masala.)
- Add chicken to the blended soup and allow that chilli to heat you up in this cold 😉