It’s been a while since I’ve posted a recipe over here. I would love to say it’s because I’ve adopted a gluten free, alternative lifestyle, but sadly it isn’t so! Ever since Eid, it’s been parties galore in our family and parties = CAKE! Which in turn means my kitchen has been extraordinarily busy and shows no sign of slowing down soon.
When life speeds by, and there’s no room for error, I tend to use formulas that I know works. And when those reliable recipes become a little boring, there are numerous ways they can be dressed up! In this instance I took a ” girl next door” vanilla cupcake recipe and gave it a complete makeover; transforming ordinary into extraordinary! With a few simple tweaks, a simple cupcake was tantalising the palette, masqueraded as a mini Italian dessert…
There are many variations of this cupcake, some opting for the more traditional route of marscapone cheese topping. I, however, improvised with whatever ingredients I had at hand.
You will need:
- 1 Basic vanilla cupcake recipe (See here for a quick and easy cupcake recipe that will save you time)
- 1 mug strong black coffee with sugar
- 100 gr butter
- 125 gr cream cheese ( traditionally made with Marscapone cheese, but I substituted with cream cheese)
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 200 gr white chocolate (melted )
- 150 – 200 ml fresh cream, whipped
- Cocoa powder for dusting
* Recipe yields approximately 24 cupcakes
Bake cupcakes as per instructions using foil lined cup holders instead of paper ones as the paper cups will become soggy after step 2.
- Once you have removed cupcakes from the oven, immediately poke them with a knife or fork and drizzle coffee over the tops and leave to cool. The poking will allow coffee to be absorbed into the cupcake.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make on the cream cheese topping by beating butter and icing sugar thoroughly until white and fluffy. Thereafter, add the cream cheese, being careful not to overbeat as mixture will become runny. Next, stir in melted chocolate, and lastly fold in the whipped cream.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, the cream cheese topping can be piped on top and then dusted with cocoa powder.
Thanks for reading and Happy Baking!