It’s here! Finally, my favourite season of the year has arrived – albeit in a very dramatic way (with the worst storm the Cape has seen in years and all schools being closed for the momentous occasion) – but nevertheless…the sudden chill in the air is undeniable!
I usually love Winter mainly for the fashion and the prospect of hiding underneath oversized jerseys and warm, cosy coats; but this year (or rather these past 2 weeks of proper Winter weather); I don’t even feel like getting out of pyjamas, never mind putting together a sensible looking outfit, or putting on makeup and taking selfies!!! I have however, been warming myself up with the heat of the oven, by whipping up a few easy to make and decadent desserts to help keep the winter chill at bay!
One of my all time favourites is this Chocolate Self-Saucing pudding, because who doesn’t love chocolate! I’ve been making this dessert long before Woolworths starting selling them, so I always feel a little sad at the prospect of paying R60 for something that barely takes 5 minutes to make!
In this recipe, the mixture separates during cooking to form a cake layer over a smooth creamy sauce- Divine!!!
- 60 grams butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon cocoa, extra
- 2 cups boiling water
- Combine butter and milk in a saucepan. Stir over heat until butter is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in essence and sugar, then sifted flour and cocoa.
- Spread mixture into a greased ovenproof dish (6 cup capacity).
- Sift brown sugar and cocoa over mixture, then gently pour over boiling water. Mixture will separate during baking.
- Bake in a moderate (180 deg Celsius ) oven for about 35-40 minutes. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Recipe best made just before serving and can be doubled…just make sure that the correct size dish is used so that the proportion of cake to sauce is even.
And that’s it!! Thanks for reading and happy baking!